Translate

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Soy Wax - Soy Bean

I'm sure you have guessed by now, that I am all about soy wax or what a soy bean can do for you.  Kudos to the soy bean farmers.  Just to think, it was a plant grown for feed.  Now used for cooking oils, cosmetics, to bio-fuels.  The book or movie "The Help", they made references to Crisco, the cure all to everything, to fry chicken, to a moisturizer for your skin.  
What is Crisco? Hydrogenated oil from a soy bean.  OK, I got side tracked. I should be writing about the trials and errors of wicking candles.  All the advice I got was to test wick first. What kind of wick? Do I use paper or cotton?  I a course looked up what's the difference between the two and went from there.  I chosen paper, it burns hotter and gives a better wax melt.  Different size jars, calls for different size wicks.  Pick the size wick that best matches the candle jar size and start from there.  I always started with the bigger wick size and worked my way down.  To much wick is not good, as is to little.  One melts fast and the other not enough.  When you find the right wick, test burn more then once.  Sometimes they don't burn the same way twice.  There are a lot of reasons way, but by checking to make sure the wick is centered is usually the first one.  That one is not as simple as it's sounds when you make by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment